Monday, November 4, 2013

A Window on Grand Junction--Tomorrow Hill Farm

Everyone who's read my book or my blog knows that I consider myself a Grand Junction ex-pat. I wasn't born there, and only lived there for a few years. But I bonded strongly with Grand Junction and I strive every day to be able to move back there.

Don't get me wrong--my neighbors in upstate New York have been good and gracious friends. The Adirondack Park is to marvel at, amazing. And this area is culturally similar to where I grew up. But someone, a "native" of the Grand Valley, told me that once you've lived there, you must always return. I think she was right.

I'm always searching for news of Grand Junction to ease the homesickness. Today I stumbled upon a wonderful website belonging to the Tomorrow Hill Farm. What a find! I was looking for a webcam somewhere in Grand Junction, and they have a fine one. But their site is just chock full of interesting features and links!

For starters, they're a full-on organic farm and a wonderful wildlife area. They've even created a simulated riparian environment though they are not located on the Colorado River. That has to take dedication! Thirsty athletes and others can stop by the Tomorrow Hill Farm drinking fountain mini-park at the corner of 24 Road and I 1/2 Road--careful of the traffic!

All about sustainable living, this farm is solar- and wind-powered. They share tons of useful tips for going green--easy, everyday steps we can all take to improve our environment.

Check out their entertainment links for everything you ever wanted to do in Junction--dining, theater, art, hiking, biking, local festivals--you name it.

And take a look at all their great photos--especially the birds on their farm--you won't be disappointed!

So now, unfortunately, after perusing that great website, I am totally homesick for the Grand Valley. But alas, circumstances do not allow for this writer to move back just yet--even to head West for a vacation. I will have to content myself with merely writing about it. Book number two in the Jude Hayes Mysteries series, They Pull Me Back In, is moving right along. It's fun writing about flying, but something of a challenge to keep the descriptions from becoming overly technical. As my sister used to say, "Would you shut up and stop talking about your stupid airplanes!"

Here's the daily quote from the first book, Remover of Obstacles:

We followed the road through the desert as it periodically wound up and over rock outcroppings. Nothing to see but sage, thorny scrub, and the occasional rabbit. Through the glass of the sunroof I saw a red-tailed hawk swooping over the car on its way to catching lunch. “Hey, Jazz, look at that huge hawk!”

“Hawk is the messenger bird, Jude. You saw him first, so there’s a message coming for you.”

“I sure hope it’s something good this time.”

“Maybe Jared will be calling soon to ask you out.”

This provoked a groan from me. “Oh, I can hardly wait.”

“Jared Goodwin?” A.J. asked.

I rolled my eyes. “That’s the one. Jasmine blackmailed me into a blind date.”

A.J. eyed me speculatively. “He’s a very nice boy, Jude. Good family. Started a very solid green business. You could certainly do worse.”

I assumed my long-suffering look. “How did I mess up my karma so bad that I ended up with the likes of you two in league against me?”

Jasmine placed her hand over her heart. “How could you say such a thing, my oldest and dearest friend? We have only your best interests at heart.”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Jude, you haven’t had a date in months. It’s time to jump back into the dating pool.”

My mouth hung open. “And you would know this how, A.J.? Oh, wait—I forgot that it’s pointless to ask you that question. In this case, however, I suspect Jasmine ratted me out.”

Jasmine smiled, “Of course I did. We had tea at my store before we picked you up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment