Thursday, December 5, 2013

Jacoby Ellsbury and the Fast Food Strike for a $15 an Hour Minimum Wage

I saw two disturbing stories on the TV news yesterday which together graphically displayed the ever-widening chasm in our economic classes--you know, the monetary abyss into which our middle class has fallen?

It seems that Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox star center fielder, has defected to the New York Yankees. Now, I'm not much of a Major League Baseball fan, but I do like grass roots baseball, I was raised in a Red Sox family, and I have a sister who's a pretty rabid Boston fan. While we haven't discussed it, I can well imagine what my sister thinks of Mr. Ellsbury's decision. DNA notwithstanding, I have nothing against the Yankees and I used to fly for one of their biggest fans. Besides, I live in New York. They lynch Red Sox fans in my neighborhood.

What does bother me about the Ellsbury signing, is the one hundred fifty-three million dollars he will be paid over a sever-year contract. Yikes! as Jude Hayes would say. But wait, I'm not actually living in la-la land. I understand that professional athletes have been making bags of money since before I arrived on the planet. I have nothing personally against Mr. Ellsbury and I try to think kindly of him since my sister so enjoyed watching him as an up-and-comer playing for the Portland Sea Dogs.

It's just that the story about his new job was immediately followed by one about fast food workers in New York demonstrating and attempting to organize for an increase in the minimum wage from $7.25/hour to $15.00/hour. That seems only a very modest increase. I mean, you can't make rent in New York State--much less New York City--working as many hours as they'll give you with two fast-food jobs! What is wrong with this picture?!

A restaurant association executive declared that if wages are raised, it will impact the employers' ability to create new restaurant jobs. Skewed logic alert! What does it matter if they create a zillion more jobs if no one can afford to live on what they pay? Perhaps they would prefer to contribute to public assistance programs instead of paying their employees a living wage. Oh wait--I forgot--giant corporate restaurants don't pay taxes, anyway. To paraphrase the modern saying about apps, "There's a loophole for that."

Isn't it ironic that once upon a time in a stadium far, far away, big league baseball was a wonderful pastime that almost anyone could come up with a few pennies to watch, and now it costs a few hundred dollars to take your family out to the ballgame. But hey, at least the Yankees are paying Jacoby Ellsbury a living wage--although I'm pretty sure those people at the concession stand selling you a dog and a beer are making somewhat less.

Ah, if we could all have an employer like A.J. Pierpont . . .. Here's my quote from Remover of Obstacles, Book One of the Jude Hayes Mysteries:
“I think we have common ground here, Jude. Elizabeth needs help separating her business from this debacle. And I do not expect you to do this out of the goodness of your heart—I am prepared to offer you an appropriate retainer.”
She named a figure that nearly caused me to swallow my tongue. “That is very generous of you, A.J., but my conscience would feel better if I charged you the discounted hourly fee I was charging DBC.”
A.J. leaned forward, winked, and said, “Humor an old lady, Jude.”
I hesitated only a moment before I laughed and said, “Okay, you twisted my arm, A.J. We have a deal.”
She smiled, satisfied, as she drew a silver business card holder from her designer handbag. “Here is my contact information, Jude. Please feel free to call at any time.” I had the definite feeling that Amanda Josephine Pierpont was used to getting her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment