Thursday, January 16, 2014

Flu Shots are Making Someone Rich

I haven't gotten a flu shot in many years and I don't plan to break the pattern this year. As far as I know, I've never had the flu. Oh, I've had nasty colds, bronchitis, and even pneumonia, but not influenza. I am not a believer in the flu vaccine. There have been too many problems with it over the years. I'm of the opinion that it does far more harm than good. If it works for you--even if it's only the placebo effect in operation--well and good. But I personally would want way more information about the vaccine before I would consider putting it in my bloodstream, and that information is both elusive and contradictory.

There are conspiracy theorists out there who believe that someone is slipping us something untoward in the vaccine. It kind of makes you wonder. Remember when the CIA used average citizens as guinea pigs? Flu shots are practically pushed on you gratis from every available outlet. I find it especially creepy to see flu vaccine dispensed at a supermarket. Killed germ strains in a place where food is stored and sold? That bothers me.

The medical powers-that-be warn that flu vaccine may cause "a mild flu-like reaction." Oh, but it might prevent you from contracting the flu. Maybe. Possibly. Where are their definitive clinical trials and copious evidence of the vaccine stopping the flu in its tracks? Those have been noticeably lacking. Besides, I don't get the flu and I don't want "a mild, flu-like reaction." That makes about as much sense as having a double mastectomy because you might get breast cancer. I'd rather take care of my body and its wonderful immune system and hope for the best. I'm quite sure that's the best way to avoid the flu. There are tons of pathogens swirling around us all the time. The only thing between us and them is our immune system in robust operation. Medicines may help, but ultimately, the body protects and heals itself.

I am a fan of natural remedies and holistic healing. As a kid, I was raised on homeopathy and went to an M.D. specializing in homeopathy. I'm also a believer in antibiotics--especially after one helped snap me out of pneumonia when my doctor told me I was about three days away from dying. I've had MRIs and CT scans which have yielded useful results. So I am not opposed to "modern medicine." I am opposed to blindly taking any drug or submitting to any test or procedure without researching it and making as informed a decision as possible.

I don't stand in awe of doctors and hospitals anymore, either. I've seen them make too many horrible mistakes and dispense some really bad advice. But I've seen some dedicated, wonderful doctors, too. My current family practice doctor is one of these. Also on the good list is a nurse practitioner who probably saved my life. All I'm suggesting is to apply an old feminist slogan to medical care, including the wisdom of getting a flu shot: "Question Authority."

So the next time some advertiser--even a "public service" advertiser, or a drugstore chain, or a vaccine manufacturer/distributor, tries to cajole, badger, shame, or intimidate you into getting a flu shot you don't really want, ask yourself why. What do they stand to gain? Or, as my private investigator main character Jude Hayes might say, "Follow the money." Somebody makes a lot of it from those killed germs being pumped into your body.

Jude Hayes Mysteries quote of the day coming right up:
She paused at an open door, checking the number, and I caught up to her. No name was visible. We stepped gingerly inside, where only the first of two beds was in use. A woman a little older than me dressed in plain blue scrubs sat in a chair next to the bed. Her red hair almost matched that of the patient. The skin on his bare arms was a purple mess and an IV dripped into his arm. The woman turned at our approach. “Jasmine! Jude! Thanks for coming over. The patient’s doing pretty well. If we can keep him off that damn dirt bike, it’s all good.”
The word “hippy” came to mind when I looked at Clicker’s mother, but I knew her to be one of the most senior nurses at the hospital. She was also a regular fixture at the local Farmer’s Market selling organic vegetables and trying to organize the farmers around various initiatives in her spare time.
“Hey, Sylvie,” I sketched a little wave.
“Dudettes! Clicker grinned sloppily at us, undoubtedly under the influence of some serious pain meds. “Glad you came by. I had a gnarly crash.”
In addition to the visible bruises, Clicker’s right leg was elevated in a plaster cast and his right hand was bandaged. There was a small cut over his right eye. “So, I see,” I murmured. “Trying to get a little bit too much big air, Clicker?”
“Oh, no, Dudette, not that much. Fer sure. Some lame dude crashed into me. Not my fault, this time.”
Jasmine was obviously trying not to tear up. She swallowed hard, then smiled determinedly. “You don’t look so bad, Clicker. When Sylvie called, I thought you were really hurt.” We all chuckled a little. Clicker looked like he’d been playing Mad Max demolition derby in the desert—and losing big. He also looked like he was getting sleepier by the minute. The happy syrup was doing its work.
                                              --Remover of Obstacles







No comments:

Post a Comment